This is a full-time position at our head office in Ottawa.
The successful candidate will play a key role in guiding, implementing and improving the Customer Expressions infrastructure in order to leverage new and existing technology. This person will also act in an administrative capacity for a data center computing platform based on utility computing and computing-on-demand technologies focusing on the following areas: tiered storage, grid computing, virtualization, provisioning tools, clustering, and disaster recovery. Daily responsibilities will include acting as a point of escalation for individuals who are internal and external to the group. Communication with external vendors will also be required in order resolve issues and to gather data required for on-going projects.
- The Operations Engineer will be responsible for the oversight and management of Customer Expressions client facing applications, servers, and network 24×7.
- You will be a member of an existing team dedicated to solving difficult challenges and providing high level support at Customer Expressions.
- You will monitor conditions, make recommendations, and coordinate changes in the running of the production environment.
- You will work as support taking escalations from the Application Support Team members and making escalations to development engineers when appropriate.
- Excellent technical and people skills are an absolute necessity.
- Demonstrated experience in troubleshooting applications and networks
- 5+ years of experience working with Linux (Ubuntu/Red Hat)
- Experience working with infrastructure automation in a production environment.
- Must have exposure to clustering solutions
- Hands on experience with large autonomous Linux installations a plus.
- Must be able to create and maintain documentation and metrics for server builds, backup processes and procedures, consoles and vendor contacts.
- Ability to perform performance and kernel tuning as well as deep troubleshooting and root cause analysis.
- Work experience with benchmarking of dynamic web sites
- Exposure to MySQL and PostgreSQL
- Experience in building and managing docker containers
- Understanding of network environments and tools
- Experience with engineering tools such as bug tracking and source code control systems
- Ability to help develop and implement governance and security processes (i.e. Sarbanes-Oxley, SAS70, PCI, etc).
If you believe you’re the right fit for our team, please submit a cover letter and your resume to email@example.com and mention “System Administrator – Intermediate ” in the subject line.