The identification and collection of digital evidence are among the most important initial steps in an investigation.
And because there is at least some digital evidence in almost every investigation, it’s critical that investigators know the basics of preservation and collection and the importance of bringing in an expert in digital forensics when necessary.
Since electronic files can exist on so many devices, there’s a lot involved in preserving and collecting this kind of evidence. But first, an investigator needs to know where to look and many are surprised at some of the common sources of digital evidence they never considered.
- When digital evidence comes into play
- Sources of digital evidence and what can be found
- The do’s and don’ts of evidence preservation
- Safely collecting and processing digital evidence
- When to call in the experts